Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Rough Mornings

I hate hard mornings like this one was today.  No one will listen, I'm repeating myself over and over again, there is teasing going and homework to finish.  By the time everyone leaves I am completely at my wits end! I hate the boiling feeling inside of me, the one where you feel like you want to explode and you know if you do it will be on the one child that probably deserves it, but really just needs your love the most.  I've been reading the book, Deliberate Motherhood, by the Power of Moms.  The chapter I am reading is all about loving our children and how most of the time they just need love.  I really need to remember this, especially with B.  She is my one child that doesn't express herself and can be very stand offish, but out of all the my kids needs love and acceptance.  I read a quote last night that I really loved, it said,
"Instead of strategizing about ways to help them behave,implementing new discipline techniques, or finding new ways to react to tense situations, she focused solely on dishing them out an extra large serving of love."
I loved this and doesn't it sound so simple? Just love. No time outs, taking away iPods, yelling, and threatening. Just love. Sounds so much nicer, peaceful and is something I am quite good at when I am calm. :)  Now I need to learn to practice that in times of stress and aggravation.  I am definitely a yeller. I came from a home where my mother yelled, (she was a great mom, don't get me wrong), but it is very easy to take on those traits.  Sometimes I feel it's the only way to get through to my kids and to think maybe just a hug or putting my arms around them and letting them know that I am here and I am listening could control all the turmoil that is going on at that moment.
So my goal for today is to
1. LOVE more! Even if I am boiling with hot lava running through my veins and feel like I may erupt at any second! I am going to take a big deep breath and just remember to love them.

 2. I am going to set up one on one time with them today.  Give them my undivided attention, even if it is for 10 minutes to do something they enjoy. I will put this strategy that I heard from Positive Parenting Solutions, with Amy McCready, to work.  She said that it will tame the disputes and disciplining and also help with sibling rivalry.  She claims that if the child is getting their emotional needs met there is less of the power struggle with our children.
I know things will never be perfect and like everything else in our lives, motherhood is a journey, that never ends, but I can make our day to day lives better by implementing these strategies into our home.  I feel better already and I think my blood has gone back to a nice peaceful flow through my body and is no longer at a boil!

"When the going gets tough, love harder!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

pinterest

Followers