Friday, September 27, 2013

Grandparents Day!

My kids are so dang lucky!! They had Grandparents Day at school today and we're blessed to have both Grandparents come.  My parents traveled from Boise to be with them today. And even though Mike's Mom is just down the street, they don't get to spend too much one on one time with her.   They were beyond excited, in fact, they were all up earlier than usual today!
Grandparents Day was always so special for me growing up.  I had an awesome Grandma! And still do, she will be 95 this year! My mom would get us dressed up in our finest dresses and do our hair so pretty. We did a big program every year and then they would come in our classrooms for some special one on one time and then my Grandma went the extra mile and took us to lunch and sometimes shopping.  We always went to our favorite restaurant, Plush Pippen.  It had my favorite minestrone soup and you were served your very own mini loaf of bread! Then we ended our meal with a big piece of homemade pie! I remember feeling so loved and special on this day.  I think memories and special moments like this one help mold us into the grown up people we are today.  I loved spending time with my Grandma.  She is a very special lady.  She's tough, spiritual, a great cook, and her fashion sense was and is still impeccable.  She had a way of turning ordinary into fascinating by the way she decorated or threw a party.  I do believe this is where I got my party planning skills from!  She loved having her family all together and creating a space of love and laughter for us all. My Granner was also a beautiful eloquent lady.  She had lived a hard life, losing her husband so young and raising two boys on her own.  She loved to dance and was very good at it.  She always had beautiful ball gowns that she wore and would get dressed up with my Grandpa Jim and go to the dance hall.  She wasn't as hands on in my life, but I knew she loved us.  I painted her a picture years ago and she hung it in her home and had it there until she passed away.  She was 98 when she died.  I am grateful for my children's grandparents.  They love my children in their own special way.  My children always feel loved and special when they are around.  They are good examples of doing hard things, strong faith, and unconditional love.





 This was last year's Grandparents Day! 2012 (Forgot to get one this Year)

No comments:

Post a Comment

pinterest

Followers