Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Halloween Mantle

We moved into our home a few years ago and lucky for me there wasn't a whole lot to be done to the house.  It has amazing finish work and colors.  As we have lived here for some time I have decided to make a few changes such as paint colors.  One thing that I absolutely love and would not change is my living room fireplace mantle.  It is a stone cast mantle done in a taupe gray color.  It is really beautiful and I adore dressing it up for every holiday.  With that being said I have to say that Halloween is probably my favorite! So I thought I would share with you today how I created this spooky look. I first started with a blank piece of cardboard that we had gotten from a furniture delivery.  I cut it down to size for a backdrop.  I then went to DI and found Steven King books and tore them out and stapled them to the board.  It was super easy and fast! After positioning it just right I started to add layers to the mantle with an old window, some antique silver I had picked up at thrift stores and old books with bindings that matched my color scheme. Inside the vase I have a creepy "flower arrangement." I actually spray painted some prickly weeds from behind my house (make sure to wear thick leather gloves). I just used a black spray paint.  I put moss in the bottom of the vase and then put the weeds over the top.  I think it added a cool effect!  I then added in a bird cage with a crow in it, a few skeletons and some lace for added spooky effect.  I topped it off with some candle sticks.  I love the way it turned out! It is definitely the focal point in the room!
 Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment

pinterest

Followers